From: owner-iris@hort.net [mailto:owner-iris@hort.net] On Behalf Of Kent
Appleberry
Sent: Saturday, June 04, 2005 6:11 PM
To: iris@hort.net
Subject: [iris] OT-BIO : Kent Appleberry in Utah

I always start my entries to discussion lists by saying that I don't
expect to post very much.  I think I can keep to that in this case, as
I'm conveniently ignorant about the topic of iris and iris culture.  I
got my first 50 named irises last fall from an end of season row run
sale, which didn't require any choosing on my part.  Now I'm in the
process of putting together orders for another hundred or two, this time
of my choice.  I've been reading quite a bit online, including archives
from this list and the photo list.  All very helpful.

I live in rural central Utah, Sanpete County, at about 6,000 feet, maybe
zone 5a, or possible 4b at my house, which is out of town.  I'm not
aware of any irisarians in this area.  I know of a few in-state, but
haven't met any.  Kasparek, Nebeker, Muhlstein (sp?) and another
hybridizer or two are names I've come across.  And of course I've seen
Jeff Walters' name many times in the archives here.

I hope the thought of this won't cause too much discomfort among the
true gardeners here, but I'm getting into bearded irises partly because
they're relatively carefree plants well suited to arid summers.  I may
find that some cultivars won't put up with what I hope will be a good
degree of neglect once they're established.  My plan is to keep the
weeds away, and to divide as needed, but not to pamper much in other
ways.  No fertilizer, I hope, except what will occur naturally from the
detritus of the weeds and twigs I use for mulch.  (I understand there
might be concerns about borers from mulch of the wrong kind, or rot from
too much mulch--but it is very arid here.)  I expect to have smaller
flowers than many, but I hope to still have some.  Maybe I'm being
unrealistic.  If so, now's a good time to warn me.

I suppose that's more than enough intro.  I've finally signed up because
I have a question, which I'll post separately.

Kent