Re: TB: Morgan's "RED" and "ROSE" AMOs

Just the kind of info I was looking for, George. Thought I might have a line on a red amoena for $2, but it appears not quite. Still a nice iris for what it is, I'm sure. If this thread doesn't produce any input on red amoenas (meaning red like, say, BATTLE ROYAL), maybe I'll start a separate one to see what's out there, and why there seems to be so little. There are plenty of other amoenas. Thanks.

George Schubert wrote:

I currently have a BRIMMED RED AMO blooming in my garden, quite possibly from Nicholson's, as I did order from them in my formative years with irises. The rim is in the eyes of the beholders, just merely bleached out compared to the rest of the falls. Nothing at all approaching a plicata type border. The color is kinda reddish violet, although red is used somewhat optimistically rather than realistically. Bloom size is not too bad. Definitely an older looking iris. Next to my BRA is a clump of Caribbean Dream, so much more pleasing on the eyes.

I also have a clump of Red Double Double, which I think might be from the same breeder and source. It looks very similar to BRA, but with yellowish standards instead of white, and is somewhat smaller, although that clump is now down to its last bloom.

Hope this helps. Sorry, I don't have a digital camera to capture it, although that is on my to-do list, hopefully before they become obsolete!

Zone 6b
Harpers Ferry, WV