CULT:HYB:Botrytis, D. Pinegar and more [was OT-BIO: Kent Appleberry in Utah]

Kent, Darlene Pinegar is listed in the 2004 *Registrations and
Introductions* as living at 40 South, 200 West, Spanish Fork UT 84660 and
registered six irises in 2004.  Yes, she is a Utah iris grower and
hybridizer.

As to Botrytis, at 6000 ft, if you have continual snow cover, you may not
have much problem.  Botrytis is particularly a problem where irises are
subjected to rapid freeze and thaw with quite a lot of time during the
dormant season spent right around 32 degrees.  You probably don't have
that--plunging abruptly into hard frozen ground and having snow cover most
of the winter, then thawing fairly rapidly in the spring.

The infection shows abruptly in spring when warm weather starts with a grey
fur around the base of the fan, and apparent sudden death.  If you dig the
rhizome, you will find clusters of dark brown to black spore cases with the
rhizome a spongy mass and lifeless.  The surviving toe area, if any, is
walled off with a waxy or cork-like layer with completely healthy tissue
behind it.  If you are lucky, there will be some eyes that have sprouts or
will produce sprouts.  I found that rescued slivers grew astoundingly
fast--suggesting the infection leaves a legacy of growth hormones in the
surviving tissues.  They certainly acted like that for me at least.

I take it that you are up into the Wasatch mountain areas a ways.  I seem to
remember the Utah Lake area being around 4400' elevation and quite mild,
partly due to the moderating influences of Great Salt Lake and Utah Lake, as
well as the latitude substantially farther south from where I had lived.  It
occurs to me I could check that out on-line about Orem or Provo instead of
relying on a rather old memory.  I visited Tell and Marie once while working
for the J. R. Simplot Co.  I attended a fruit seminar in that area sometime
in the late '60s and was impressed by the vistas, the obvious fertility of
the area and the rather balmy feel to the climate--at the season in which I
visited.  There were other times I drove through the Ogden area in the '80s
on I-80 to I-84 toward Idaho.  I remember the quality of the light as being
delightful, clean, the air fresh.

I've flown over the area several times as well and found fascinating the
shorelines of the Pleistocene lakes of northern Utah and Nevada.  One can
follow those beach lines for hundreds of miles in and around the Basin and
Range topography highlands.  I've often wished I could time-travel and see
what that land looked like with about half of it under water.  I suspect the
scenery would have been spectacular forest, snow-capped mountains and
all--as it still is spectacular as nearly barren dry high desert and steppe
under the current climate cycle.

On Hamblen bloodlines, some of Cayeaux pinks are about half Hamblen in
origin, and her work is strong in ENCHANTED APRIL, one of Larry Lauer's
introductions that I like rather a lot.  The Hamblen bloodlines are hidden
back several generations, but they are there.

Neil Mogensen  z 7  Reg 4  western NC mountains