Re: CULT:HYB:Botrytis and more [was OT-BIO: Kent Appleberry in Utah]

Thanks to Neil and Jeff for the info on Botrytis. I'll have to watch out for that in the cold wet season, and now I'll know what to do. For the irises I got last fall I put rocks over the rhizomes to prevent frost heave, something I read about here--Walter Moores, among others, thought it was a good idea. Worked well here. Since they came so late in the season, I also built a season extender around them (plastic sheeting on a wood frame), which also worked well, though I left it up too long this spring. All fifty (tiny) rhizomes came through, with no rot I've been able to detect.

Jeff, do you stake those very tall stems? It's often windy here.

Neil, the area from Ogden to Provo has changed a great deal since you were last here. Much of the open space has been filled in with houses and such, and the air is often not so clear. It still has its beauties, of course, not least the geological features you mention (minus the Pleistocene lakes). Happily, our little valley is on the other side of the mountains from the huge growth along the I-15 corridor.

I was surprised in looking over my list of the iris I'm interested in how many are from Hamblen. No doubt her work is in the "bloodlines" of many others I'm considering withut my knowing it.

Kent