From: owner-iris@hort.net
[mailto:owner-iris@hort.net] On Behalf Of Linda
Sent: Tuesday, June 07, 2005 11:38 AM
To: iris- talk
Subject: [iris] CULT: question - weed barrier

I am experimenting this year with some weed
barrier fabric under potted irises.

I don't have any experience with this stuff - does
it have to be covered with mulch of some sort?

My front yard is full of "wild" daffodils that
make very messy copperhead haven after bloom while
I wait for the foliage to die down so I can start
mowing it as "lawn" again.  Full of weeds and
blooming grasses - unsightly mess.

So I'm experimenting with one section of it -
covered it with the landscape fabric, edged it
with 2x4's, put about an inch layer of pine
shavings on top, then set the pots on it.  Plan is
to leave the pots there till this fall, then take
up the 2x4s & fabric, spread the shavings on the
ground, hopefully not have much in the way of
grass/weeds next spring, then re-use the area for
pots after the daffs die back again next year.

Timing works well for holding potted rhizomes for
our summer sale as well as seedlings that didn't
make it into the ground yet.

Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8
East Tennessee Iris Society
<http://www.korrnet.org/etis> American Iris