CULT: Can this pod be saved?

Last evening I came home to discover that
the @#$*&% snails had chomped on my biggest
seed pod (Flight to Mars X Outlaw Trail)!
They've eaten nearly all the way through
the stalk, leaving only the outer edge of
one side of the stalk connecting the pod
to it. They've also chomped a bit on the
pod itself, but it doesn't look like they
broke through the seed membrane.

I assume the pod won't be getting any more
water or nutrients from the stalk - can it
be saved? I made the cross a bit over a month
ago, and the pod is full-sized, but quite green -
no sign of maturing yet.

Any suggestions appreciated...

Jean Richter
San Francisco bay area, zone 9