[TB][HYB] Red Amoenas

I'm curious about what the reddest amoenas are, and about why there seem to be relatively few of them in comparison to the number of red self bearded iris. I'm talking about what qualifies as red in bearded iris, such as BATTLE ROYAL. I haven't done any thorough search, but in going through the list I compiled to get my iris collection started ($3 and under to try to limit the damage to my budget), with hundreds of cultivars, the closest I've found to a red amoena is LATIN HIDEAWAY (Nichols 86). Here are links to a few photos:

http://www.hort.net/lists/iris-photos/nov03/msg00431.html
http://www.hort.net/lists/iris-photos/may01/msg00160.html
http://www.hort.net/lists/iris-photos/may01/msg00161.html
http://dg.davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/23931/
http://users.ca.astound.net/kenww/my_garden/Latin_Hidaway.jpg

As you can see, the color of the falls is reddish purple, with enough brown in some shots to look more dark brick than purple. Betty W. told me off-list that Griff has come up with a red amoena seedling:

http://www.hort.net/lists/iris-photos/may05/msg01015.html

It's gorgeous--rather stunning in the photo--and it definitely has the reddish tint, but it too seems more purplish than many selfs, which have more obvious red in them, to my eye, at least:

http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/21725/
http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/24743/
http://davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/19020/

Of course, the cameras may not be getting the colors quite right in any of these shots, but it's my impression that the red in the amoenas I've seen is less red than the red in the selfs.

Anyone know of some examples of red amoenas that are red the way the red selfs are? Any thoughts on why it seems more rare than other colors in amoenas? Have hybridizers worked on it as much as the other colors? Hope I'm not asking questions that are obvious to everyone else. Or too painful for frustrated hybridizers!

Kent