Re: CULT: Can this pod be saved?

In a message dated 6/7/2005 7:37:59 P.M. Central Standard Time,
Oneofcultivars@aol.com writes:

<<<left layin' on the desk. The potato
did not hurt  anything and it made a neat holder. Certainly it may even have
helped.  Pods handled each way germinated.

I let both groups of broken off pods  (about 4 of each) ripen to the crackin'
point before removing the  seeds>>
Many moons ago, back in the olden days, I had over a dozen stalks that were
broken, started rotting, etc.  One worst year I've seen. (1990 I  think)
Anyway, I tried sticking stalks in moist soil, putting them in  potatoes, and just
letting them lie on my work table under the shady part of the  garden.  Some
of the pods turned slimy and I cleaned them in an old wire  colander.
All but one (it was only a month old) sprouted seedlings!  That was  the last
time I've messed with the potatoes or anything else.  Now I make  sure the
pod is marked and check it every day or two.  Doesn't seem to  matter whether
they are inside or outside, but I prefer inside.
Betty W. in  South-central KY Zone 6
Bridge In Time Iris Garden@website: