HYB:Product Identity:frustration

In a message dated 6/14/2005 3:04:19 P.M. Central Standard Time,
neilm@charter.net writes:

But  then--the logic of buying a piece of something one already "has" is a
bit  strange.  Why not just compost the unknown and stay with the  newly
purchased item?

Neil, I can only speak from personal experience.  When I became  interested
in rebloomers, our local club was passing around a reblooming  cultivar that
they said was KOALA.  The iris is in the rebloom check list  as reblooming in
KY.  That report is incorrect.

Can't remember why, but I became convinced the iris was incorrectly
identified, and somehow determined that it was CORN HARVEST.  I grew our  KOALA, a new
piece of KOALA from a different source, and CORN HARVEST side by  side.  When
they all bloomed, it was clear that OUR KOALA was, in fact,  CH.  Same
height, same branching, same everything . . . down to the  veins.  Also, I could see
a family resemblance between KENTUCKY DERBY &  the new KOALA!  (they are
siblings)

I'm sure there are still people growing CH in our area and calling it  KOALA.
 It is finally gone from the display garden!  The person (long  deceased)
that introduced the cultivar to the club had gotten the  iris (as KOALA) from
Mohr himself.  I was never able to convince  the gentleman that he had received
the wrong iris.

Betty W. in  South-central KY Zone 6
Bridge In Time Iris Garden@website: