Re: TB: Black Andromeda

For what it's worth, Tompkins' 1995 catalog says this about BLACK
ANDROMEDA:

"Broad, deep wine to azure wine with wide falls of such dark coloring
they appear to be of thick black velvet.  A glowing, almost hidden
undertone of carnelian brings the flower to vivid fulfillment.
Intense."

In later catalogs, he describes it as:

"Deep Wine falls that appear to be thick black velvet.  An undertone of
carnelian brings out the beauty"

No mention of a red beard, neglecta coloring, or lighter rim.  This
description seems to fit what I have.  The standards on mine are
slightly lighter than the falls, but not much.  In my photos, it almost
looks like it has redblack standards and blueblack falls.

I don't have a 1994 catalog, the year it was registered and introduced -
that year probably has more description and might even have a photo...

--
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8