Re: Re: HYB:Product Identity

Hi

I do that all the time, however, I can sometimes find a list of things I have purchased and sometimes
I can remember bits of names, so pinning a name on an unknown isn't necessarily all that random as
it may seem.

I really don't see the harm in attaching a name. I would have to guess the majority of the growers of
irises are casual growers and are probably more concerned with the looks and the garden performance
of a cultivar rather than it's precise pedigree.
Sandra

Neil A Mogensen wrote:

I cringe when I see someone "identify" a NOID from seeing some on-line
photos and pouncing with great certainty on a possible match..

Repeatedly several writers have pleaded with people not to be hasty in
pinning names on unknowns.  Get a rhizome from a reliable source and grow it
side by side with the NOID--but even then it may take a sharp eye to say for
sure the unknown does or does not match the comparison plant.  Everytime a
name is pinned on an unknown incorrectly it "contaminates the field" since
these mislabeled plants have a tendency to travel far from home, carrying
the misidentification with them.

But then--the logic of buying a piece of something one already "has" is a
bit strange.  Why not just compost the unknown and stay with the newly
purchased item?  It is easy to understand why the casual grower ignores the
plea.

Neil Mogensen  z 7  Reg 4  western NC mountains