Re: Re: HYB:Product Identity

In a message dated 6/17/2005 4:18:10 AM Central Daylight Time,
neilm@charter.net writes:
Sandra, my remarks about "pouncing" don't refer to careful and knowledgeable
gardeners and iris growers such as yourself.  You are far less likely to pin
an incorrect name on something you have that has gotten separated from its
label than the type of "casual" gardener I meant.  You have a pretty
sophisticated knowledge of what is what, and what you may or may not have
gotten.  The unknown is identified to be something you have good reason to
attach the name to and are highly unlikely to pin just any old name on

Seeing the photo on line as I described is more on the order of a jog to
your memory than the type of event I intended to decry.  My concern is with
those who know little but enthusiastically trade around or dig something up
in "Grandma's old iris bed" on which names get attached that don't belong.
When put into circulation the incorrectly IDed item is a serious problem.
If it turns out to be accurate identification it is more likely so by
accident than it is by rightly-done ID'ing.

The problem reminds me of some visitors I used to get several times a year.
One points to a brand new introduction and announces that "I've had that one
several years.  It's one of my favorites."

I don't say a word.  But I have been known rather often to stick the spading
fork under some surplus item or two of recent varieties and CLEARLY label
the name and send it home with the person.  I figured I was contributing to
their education--if that were possible.  Some never seem to learn, then the
happy surprise comes around and we end up with a new AIS member.  Those are
a delight.

I also usually answer honest questions with perhaps a little humor, but
considerable care to give my answer at the level the questioner is likely to
absorb and use.  Occasionally the effort is fruitful.

In Idaho I got a lot of garden visitors, some quite knowledgeable, some rank
beginners, who were sometimes fruitful fodder for efforts to "hook" on

Where I'm located now I'm not getting any visitors at all except for a
couple friends (who've had their heads and hands filled with iris as thanks
for help in spraying, digging and the like),  occasional deer, rabbits and
frequent invasions by moles.  I must admit I miss the coyotes.  Their
serenades are something I haven't had a chance to enjoy for a long, long

One visit from Linda Mann and one of her friends was a lot of fun.  They
went home with a trunk load of things just to help me clear some space.

Neil Mogensen  z 7  Reg 4  western NC mountains
And Neil, what are the driving directions to your place??<vbg>

Connie Eggen
Zone 5
Warsaw MO