Re: Re: HYB:Product Identity

Eleanor: Our present system for verifying irises is weak at best. But many of us buy the various checklists and R&Is put out by the AIS and the various sections. Recently I have been promoting the idea of illustrated checklists. I have a few people that have given objections to this. The main cause for concern is that pictures are unreliable and different film and different cameras will give different colors in print. My response to this criticism is .Dah.. Do you think we have been living in the dark ages and just discovered imaging. I think it would have to be a caveman or native discovered on some remote island for a person to think that images, prints whatever could be taking literally. In fact the word descriptions we have can not be taken literally, so I guess we should do away with communication altogether. I get a little impatient with people who have such a low opinion of everyone elses intellect that they wish to limit communication by photos because they think they are
 the only one who knows the limitations. Adding photos to R&Is or checklists could certainly provide additional information as to pattern of color etc. that is almost impossible to convey in words. It also can show elements of the carriage of the flower that is not mentioned in descriptions. But Hey, I think that pictures in checklists are something that is self evident and the curmudgeons that are against such should have to justify their position. Cost and extra work are probably the two best excuses but if these can be overcome why would anyone be opposed? Here I am on my soapbox again.

Eleanor Hutchison <eleanore@mts.net> wrote:When I first joined this iris group, in 2000 or so (I don't always post, but
I try to read all the great info), I asked for help in identifying irises.
I still remember it was Neil who responded. Nowadays, when I get asked to
identify someone's iris, my answer is the same: it's a guess at best and you
need to grow the named iris close to the unknown, and under the same
conditions. I should just get rid of all my unknowns, but I'm rather
attached to them. When I have iris tours here, I do mention the unknowns as
my first irises, and tell them the best guess only story. Perhaps some of
them listen...

However, on the other hand, Sandra and I trade irises, and if her unknown is
one I've given her, the name is very likely correct. Just the other day, I
discovered that an iris I bought in 1998 as SDB Transcribe, is not. I had
been given a 2nd Transcribe as a freebie from a reliable source and the
colouring is totally different. Which one is correct? The quest begins
again.

I'm in the process of changing my labels to copper, with long wire stakes,
in the hopes that they will last longer and the marker won't wash off as
quickly. I've used china marker in the last few years and the label is
quite legible still. I have well over 400 diff irises, many with 2 clumps,
so this may very well take all season, just for the irises.

El, near Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada Z3