Re: Re: HYB:Product Identity

The idea of a photo (digital!) contributed along with a registration is
something I would greatly appreciate.

Using a digital Nikon CoolPix 5000, expensive enough that it should produce
quality "accurate" photos has taught me a lot on how to interpret the
handbook.  The color balance computer element of the camera seems to be set
to interpret the entire visual field as adding up to 18% neutral gray, so if
there's a background of foliage, I get a pretty accurate color.  If the
background is brick-red rock, our native stone I use in building terraces
and beds, the colors shift.

Time of day?  Makes a great difference.  The "color temperature" of light
here, thanks to copious "crud" in the lower atmosphere, varys greatly
through the day from quite warm to cool in mid-day.  High moderate overcast
in mid-day has given me the most accurate color renditions of some of the
red-violets with which I work.

All, however, of the warm violet seedlings photograph as more rose-pink,
which they emphatically are not.  I've had a few exceptions on odd quality
days, perhaps in partial shade, that have given more accurate color.  What
would I submit with a registration?  I have no idea.  The one that shows the
branching, but the color is skewed?  The one that interprets the colors but
is taken from above and gives not indication of scale, spacing of branches
and so on?

I wouldn't want to see *R&I's* or *Check Lists* published with the photos
unless a DVD or its successor, now in development, were included in a sleeve
in the back of the book, containing the images.  The online Registry,
however, could incorporate a link to a companion folder or folders for the
image quite easily (in comparison to the print copy) I would think.

I wonder how Mike Lowe would respond to Dr. Pries' suggestion.  I would
expect Mike and Anne to give realistic responses to the idea.

In a few years the photo registry will happen anyway.  That is the direction
the world is moving.  We would even begin filling in the blanks of the
ancient and not so ancient Historics.

Just using my crystal ball (so to speak)--

Neil Mogensen  z 7  Reg 4  western NC mountains