Re: Re: HYB:Product Identity/Mogensen

In a message dated 6/19/05 7:03:52 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
neilm@charter.net writes:

> As opportunities came and went for Judge's Training, which I do need as a
> refresher or reducator and to broaden my knowledge of Siberians, LA's, JI's
> and more, I found that I was unable to make the trips, however short, to
> take part.  I finally got realistic and knew my state of recovery physically
> from my recent rather extreme "medical adventures" was not adequate to
> follow through with that to which Epperson, the RVP and I had agreed.  I
> regretfully withdrew my request and let the matter drop.
>
> Dorothy, I see the merit of your and your husband's contributions, and I
> admire them greatly.  You two have made enormous contributions to the
> knowledge and experience of those who grow the smaller dwarfs.  I honor
> that!  I can see fully justified the granting of Emeritus status to the two
> of you.
>
> As for my own, I would welcome Emeritus status, but I would miss the active
> part of the life of a judge.  I enjoyed it a lot when active before.

Hi Neil,

I am so sorry that you were unable to pursue reinstating your judges status.
What I was trying to point out regarding emeritus status was that it takes a
cheering section to promote it and provide the background information to the
AIS Board.  I think that those who are not on this talk venue don't realize all
you are doing to educate beginners and so-called experts alike.  Perhaps Bill
can still spearhead a movement to this end.

We were at the AIS Fall Board meeting when they announced our appointment.
Hooker Nichols, who was then Judges Chairman, came to us and said this was not
a license to give up our work as judges.  We are still giving judges training
and attending National and Regional conventions and hope our health holds out
a little longer so we can continue to do so.  However, as you have found, it
gets more difficult as aging creeps up on you.  I have been involved with
irises for 55 years--not quite as long as you--but it is getting harder and harder
to keep up our gardens.  Right now we are faced with moving our entire large
public display garden, because the city is erecting several new buildings on
the property.

Anyway, please keep up the help you are giving all of us on iris hort.

Dorothy Willott