Re: iris DIGEST V1 #393 Pics of historic iris for judges

Hi all,

I do agree Neil is awesome!

Pics of historic iris for judges  have available at
iris shows --

How curious, how bizarre, and what a coincidence  I
too am fiddling around with pictures.  Since our iris
club's past show, I've been wanting to make some kind
of picture list for judges, so they can identify say
the "100 most commonly shown historic iris".  ROOTS
had a great article on this!

I'm doing a slide show for our iris club next week, on
this, and want to put the 100 (labeled on picture)
pictures in say an album on an internet photo archive
(e.g. Snapfish, PhotoWorks) so people could get the
pictures printed to use at their own shows.  Say 100 x
.30/print (or whatever they charge) would be 30.00,
they could put the pics they have printed out into
photo album pages in a notebook and have that
available at their shows.  Could also put these pics
on a cd to distribute.

We've heard, in shows at many venues, iris judges say
things like "of course no historic iris could possibly
win best of show", and also seen incorrectly-ID'd
historics entered in shows and the judges don't catch
it (not that they're going to know every iris in
existence!  that's where something like this would at
least be a help).  One of my very favorite iris is
ISOLINE, who has very characteristic droopy recurved
falls, which is part of her charm.  People who have
clerked for shows have said that some judges
criticized this part of ISOLINE, rather than judging
her as she is.  I'm hoping that having a photo
available might help this go in a better direction.