Re: HYB: I. tectorum X TB

I'm glad you've dipped your foot in the
tectorum/bearded pool. I'll tell you the discouraging
news first. It's been my experience that getting pods
to set is the easy part. Sometimes, they'll turn out
to be only balloon pods (with no seeds enlarged), but
usually a few seeds in various states of development
are found. Getting any of these to germinate is the
hard part. I wish I knew what to tell you as far as
best treatment, but your guess is as good as mine.
Tectorum itself is a very easy iris to start from seed
-- usually not even needing cold-stratification.
However, I've yet to INTENTIONALLY germinate any of
the tectorum X bearded seeds I've gotten. The only
hybrid I've gotten so far was from a seed that was in
potting soil I had discarded. So, it must not be that
hard to germinate them, right?

But, in case any "wind has been let out of your sails"

I really think there is a lot of promise in this area.
If you keep trying I'm sure you'll come up with
something. This year, I've got quite a few fat pods on
two different diploid beardeds from tectorum pollen.
I've also got two pods on tectorum from diploid
bearded, and three pods on tectorum from tetraploid
bearded (although something has eaten large holes in
two of these). Something I've been mulling over, is
that maybe the weather and/or growing conditions have
something to do with how well the hybrid seeds develop
in the pods.
I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.
Take care, Tom