Re: Re: HYB:Product Identity/Mogensen

The response privately sent Bill as "Bravo Bill" surprises me greatly.  I do
try to be "cogent" and helpful when I can, often feeling like I've said
either too much or added too much complexity.

I've loved irises with a depth and richness I cannot begin to describe ever
since I began to take note of them as a child.  Whatever I can share out of
that lifetime of experience is only fair payback for those who took the time
to teach and guide me--people like Mary Tharp, an eighty-year old Honorary
Judge herself,  who had been breeding and studying irises for decades when I
met her.  Or Melvina Suiter, another one who had learned much from Mary, and
had used a seedling of hers much like SNOW FLURRY named ICE MAIDEN that is
in the remote ancestry of an awful lot of modern irises, including four or
five Dykes Medal winners.  Suiter's TOMECO is in the pedigrees of many
Schreiner reds, and her ORANGE FRILLS, and ORANGE CRUSH are present in the
ancestries of a great many rich orange and apricot irises.

Mel Suiter was a gruff Idaho farmer's wife, often almost rude, a person of
strong will but willing, when she felt like it, to share bountifully with
me.  Most of my "Judges Training" was informal but thorough. She, Wilma
Vallette and a few others took the time to share their hopes, plans, dreams
and experience with me over a period of a number of years from my teens on
into later years.  So did Tell Muhlestein once I began correspondence with
him at Mary Tharp's suggestion.

Then taking part in Keith Keppel's "Teens and Twenties Robin" that included
quite a few now very prominant people was another avenue to a wealth of
experience, freely shared, sometimes argued, as dissent is a very productive
way to learn if all concerned really listen to each other.  We did, and we
learned.

Most of what I do is simply "Pass it on."  I mean to give what I was given,
adding my own observations, speculations and learning in with what these
wonderful people gave me.

Neil Mogensen  z 7   Region 4  western NC mountains