Re: HYB: Best of the best

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Michael D. Greenfield
  : Re: [iris] HYB: Best of the best

  John you convinced me to get Louisa's Song. I got two small rhizomes in
  summer of 2003. It grew great and increased but no bloom in 2004. This year
  it had one 24" stalk with two blooms. Very big disappointment. About Town is
similar and a much better iris here.

  Mike:  I am a bit surprised at that.  Louisa has great stalks here, never
with only two blooms, and the branching is fine.  It also looks quite
different from about town, with softer colors and infinitely more ruffles and
substance.  She does seem to like a sunny, well-drained location.  Was yours
definitely labeled correctly?

  Have you tried Excellency with  Louisa's Song? I made the cross both ways,
  neither took.

  I do not have excellency.  My main attempts with Louisa have been using true
blues and iris with blue patterns (although I have made other crosses when no
ideal choices are available; for example with dark iris, other strong colors,
and last year under some weird impulse with Double Click).

  John Reeds (zone 9b southern California - which may also partly explain our
different results).