Re: Re: HYB: Best of the best

In a message dated June 20, 2005 Autmirislvr@aol.com  writes:

<I would also add that some of what you do will depend on where you live . .
<.temperatures, soil, etc.  Some types of irises don't grow in all
<climates.

I live in S.E. lower Michigan.  I believe my garden would be zone 5.  I grow
my bearded irises in raised beds.

<Kathy, could you communicate with us a bit more?  Are you interested  in
<all colors and patterns?  Are you interested in rebloom?  Do you  like
space
<age irises?  Color breaks?

Betty, I think I like just about every iris I see, which can make setting
goals a bit difficult.  For TBs, I would prefer ramrod stalks that are well
branched (show branching?).  I prefer the larger flowers, too.  Given the
choice between a pastel color or something really bright, I'm drawn to the
brighter colors.  I've also noticed that I lean toward the orange/red
beards, but I also like dark blue beards.  I love the veining in some iris,
like CONCESSION, OYEZ, or even BORDEAUX PEARL.  I like strong contrasts in
color and unusual patterns.  I do like space age iris.  Rebloom isn't as big
a concern for me, mostly because by the time rebloom scapes appear, we're
getting frosty weather.  I guess if I were pursuing rebloom, it would have
to be early rebloom.

However, I also like the smaller sized bearded irises.  Can someone suggest
SDBs that have some branching?  It seems like most of them don't have any
branching at all.  Perhaps the focus of SDBs is just laying a carpet of
color, which probably doesn't require much branching.  Maybe I'm looking for
more depth in that carpet?  ;-)

Well, after reading this, it doesn't really seem like I've set any goals,
but perhaps it will spark some suggestions.

Kathy