Re: Re: HYB: I. tectorum X TB

Thomas and Linda, I may be growing some balloons too.  I made a few
crosses on i. tectorum "Woolong" this year.  I emailed Thomas about this
earlier to get his advice.  I have pods developing on Woolong from
Mescalero Chief and Thornbird pollen, both are tall bearded space age
iris.  I wanted to see how the crest worked with the space age genes.  I
also  made a strait tectorum X tectorum cross from pollen from a
particularly nice specimen shown at our local iris show.  I posted pics of
it on the species iris group.  The first pod with mescalero chief pollen is
huge, near TB size, the Thornbird pollen pod is exactly the same size as
the strait tectorum pod (marble size).  I'm hoping that's a sign that it's
not a balloon, or it could just mean that it selfed instead of taking with
the pollen I dobbed.  I dobbed Woolong pollen all over the place on
diploid and tet bearded, medians etc, and got zero takes.  Linda, I hope
yours is not a balloon. I hope mine arn't either, but it's worth a shot.
Who knows maybe we'll get something neat, never hurts to try.  Good
Will Warner