CULT: Watering During Summer in Hot Climates?

We have been in a bit of a cool respite here in coastal SC for the past few
days, but last week our heat indices rose over 100, and humidity was stifling
as well. This being my first year planting iris, I try to stay attuned to your
notes regarding bloom, number of irises lost, etc. I planted about 45 irises,
and none have died; however, right now some are looking as if they are feeling
the heat. How often do those of you in the really hot climates, the south and
west, water during the summer? I understand that when irises are established
they are pretty happy to be left dry, and this is fine with me; for the time
being, however, for first year plants, what would you recommend?

Also, I was really disappointed that about half of my irises did not bloom.
They look healthy otherwise, but I am just assuming that perhaps they need more
time to get established. Several of those that didn't bloom seem to be
increasing like mad.

Thanks for any insight you can provide,

Mike in Myrtle Beach, SC, Zone 8