Re: Cult: Spathe borers

In a message dated 6/11/05 6:31:02 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
chrisdarlington@videotron.ca writes:

> Does anybody have problems with moth larvas that bore through the spathes
> and demolish the entire bloom ?  I'm having great difficulty controling these
> things and wonder what others do to put an end to the damage caused by these
> pests.  These little white borers are about 1/4 long and have two little
> black specks for eyes.   I treated lightly with Cygon 2E about three weeks ago
> but it was was either ineffective or not timely.

Hi Chris,

We had an unusually high amount of this this year even though we had sprayed
with Merit.  I don't know what conditions favored this problem.  I assume they
were regular iris borers that did the damage.

Dorothy Willott
Northern Ohio, Zones 5 & 6