HYB:101: ( was Best of the best)

In a message dated 6/20/2005 6:00:49 P.M. Central Standard Time,
iris@dancingmeadows.com writes:

Can  someone suggest
SDBs that have some branching?

Kathy and any interested beginners,
I can't advise you much on SDBs.  I grow some, but not enough to be an
My main focus is on rebloomers, and mainly TB's within that class.   I'm not
big on space age appendages or splotchy colors!  Although, I've  had two with
splotchy seedlings, one the child of the other, show up in my  purple plicata
line . . . and I really like both.  LOL!
Have you checked out the AWARDS section of the AIS website?  The AM  list and
the Symposium results should tell you what many people are growing and
preferring. If you receive the AIS Bulletin, you might also check out the  list of
EC's in the show reports each year, for future possible  introductions.
If you're going for the $50 dollar irises as recommended, you have a  lot of
good choices.  There are many websites that carry the new  varieties.  Again,
go to the AIS website and the commercial links.   (link below my name)
If you are going to put that much time and energy into collecting and
breeding you need a good research foundation.  Buy all of the R &  I's
(Registrations & Introductions), The World of Irises,  etc., (AIS Storefront/AIS Website) &
subscribe to the online iris  register.  The World of Iris is a bit out dated
but the basic  information is there.
Collect as many catalogs as you can.  (for reading) Hybridizers  often tell
you which irises are good breeders for  them.
Nothing beats research.  (my opinion)  There are many smaller  hybridizers
doing some really good work.  The latest R & I will tell  you who is registering
irises & what is being introduced.  As you read  the R &I you will develop an
idea of what varieties are working for  people.  Visit the archives of both
the iris photos and iris  talk.  You can spend a long winter there.
Right now, hybridizers are using a lot of Dykes Medal winners & many  are
using the newest introductions.  I'm not going to list the  hybridizers because
I'm sure to forget someone and that wouldn't be  fair. Many of the hybridizers
develop their own lines and only out cross  occasionally to improve some
Many are working with older and stronger varieties to  improve vigor. Those
of us in the interior climates have trouble  (sometimes) growing some of the
newer ones, while others simply prefer the older  form.
Nothing beats research and experience!  ;-)  Visit as many shows  & gardens
as you can manage.  Read first, buy later.

From personal experience, limit your collections.  Too many irises can  take
the fun out of it!

One last suggestion. . . TAKE NOTES.

Betty W. in  South-central KY Zone 6