From: owner-iris@hort.net
[mailto:owner-iris@hort.net] On Behalf Of
Sent: Wednesday, June 22, 2005 12:53 AM
To: iris@hort.net
Subject: Re: [iris] Cult: Spathe borers

In a message dated 6/11/05 6:31:02 PM Eastern
Daylight Time,
chrisdarlington@videotron.ca writes:

> Does anybody have problems with moth larvas that
bore through the
> spathes
> and demolish the entire bloom ?  I'm having
great difficulty controling these
> things and wonder what others do to put an end
to the damage caused by these
> pests.  These little white borers are about 1/4
long and have two little
> black specks for eyes.   I treated lightly with
Cygon 2E about three weeks ago
> but it was was either ineffective or not timely.

Hi Chris,

We had an unusually high amount of this this year
even though we had sprayed
with Merit.  I don't know what conditions favored
this problem.  I assume they
were regular iris borers that did the damage.

Dorothy Willott
Northern Ohio, Zones 5 & 6

To sign-off this list, send email to
majordomo@hort.net with the message text