HYB:101:002( was Best of the best)

In a message dated 6/22/2005 1:51:18 P.M. Central Standard Time,
neilm@charter.net writes:

<<A beginning breeder will find himself or herself very  discouraged if all he
or she produces are basically, junk, or "just as  goods" but not better than
what's already out  there.>>
The above quote (Neil's) echoes my thoughts when an iris friend  challenged
me to make a few crosses.  It is also why I got involved with  rebloomers.  Had
I decided to travel the well worn road, I have no  doubt my lines would now
rival the best!<wink, wink>
<just joking, folks!>

Neil,  thanks for filling in the gaps.  Indeed, I forgot to  mention the
cumulative "Check lists."  As with the rest, they are available  at the AIS
Storefront.  The earlier 3 are a challenge and all I can really  say about them is,
"I have them!"  Or copies of them.   <vbg>  I rarely reach for one of them,
but did recently when Linda  & I were discussing Chet Tompkins breeding lines.

At this point in time, the online register is my best friend.  I've 63  pages
of information on the irises I've used or plan to use, and all has been
gleaned from the register except the 2000-2005 varieties.

My personal belief is that a serious hybridizer should develop their OWN
lines.  Otherwise, you are always 7-10 years behind the curve.  By the  time a
breeder introduces an iris, he/she & their friends have been  using it in
breeding for that many years and now grow it's  grandchildren.

I will say that some of the irises Neil mentioned do not care for either my
soil or my weather.  But the only way I know for sure is to buy them and  try
them. Last year I planted over 250 varieties that were new to my  garden.
Less than 5% perished. But, a few were misnamed!

Betty W. in  South-central KY Zone 6
Bridge In Time Iris Garden@website: