Re: Re: HYB:101: ( was Best of the best)

In a message dated 6/22/2005 7:38:29 P.M. Central Standard Time,
lmann@volfirst.net writes:

Betty, I  sure hope I can some decent breeding lines going, but despair
of ever  having anything as good in appearance from my lines as Neil's
'best of the  best'.  Do you think you can get there with  rebloomers?

My goal was to create rebloomers of better form and quality than  those that
existed at the time I began.  I do mean irises that will rebloom  in my area.
Do I think I will personally create the irises of the quality Neil speaks  of
in rebloom?  I've made some very large steps in that direction.   I've had
enough success to believe in my "formula!" But with success the  goals change!
So, I doubt I will ever fully realize my goals.
What I hope is that other breeders will combine the sporadic rebloomers,
which Blyth and others are producing, with the northern hardy rebloomers that
already exist.  If they continue to do this while selecting the best  seedlings
for introductions, the quality of rebloom will rapidly increase.
Betty W. in  South-central KY Zone 6
Bridge In Time Iris Garden@website: