From: owner-iris@hort.net [mailto:owner-iris@hort.net] On Behalf Of
Sent: Thursday, June 01, 2006 5:03 AM
To: iris@hort.net
Subject: Re: [iris] CULT: Leading Edge Labels

In a message dated 5/31/2006 10:02:10 PM Eastern Standard Time,
danabrown@peoplepc.com writes:

<<You have had quite a few responses>>
Haven't I just! Wonderful useful responses!
You are all such fine generous ingenious folks, and I do  appreciate it a
lot. It had been a while since we discussed this perennial  subject and I
interested in knowing how some methods were holding up.

<<  We have been using the pawpaw metal labels spray  painted white

I looked at the last couple of issues of the Bulletin yesterday,  seeking a
PawPaw Everlasting ad, and either I overlooked it, or it is not  there. I
recall seeing one lately, either. One assumed dear PawPaw was  an
advertiser, one that would be with us always....has this  changed? I'm sort
of unnerved about this...
And I wanted to ask about the spray paint idea. Sounds real nice.  And I can

see that a sage green, or soft beige might be good, too. Do you  have to use

the automotive sort of spray or just the usual outdoor spray paint  such as
would use to freshen a metal table? Is it necessary to prime  first?

This year we swapped to mini-blinds instead of the metal  labels.  The
labels,for just the face plate are about $10 per 100  and for $10 you can
600 mini-blind labels.  We are testing  them this year and will know more in
a couple of years but so far so  good.  They are cheap enough to throw away
instead of scraping and  redoing every couple of years.
Someone once mentioned using pieces of vinyl house siding in brown. You'd
have to cut it up, which would be a real bore, but it might have a bit more

body. I don't know about getting the sticky bits to adhere, though. A lot of

that sort of stuff has a faux wood texture.
I appreciate your response, Dana.
Anner Whitehead
Richmond VA USA