Re: MTB:Kaleidoscope

On Jun 2, 2006, at 5:33 PM, Jeffrey Walters wrote:

There is a mutation of KALEIDOSCOPE that originated in
the garden of Rex and Alta Brown in the 1960's and was
registered a BROWN'S MUTANT by Clarence Mahan in 1993.
The distinction from the original KALEIDOSCOPE is that
BM has basically the pattern of a variegata-plicata
instead of the random streaking and splashing of color
found in the former.
Thank you, Jeff, for the information. Mine strongly and consistently expresses the color breaking indicative of KALEIDOSCOPE on every flower. One of the flowers does have one fall that resembles those of HONORABILE, but the other two falls are streaked and splashed like all of the other flowers in the clump.

I'll have to look up pics of BROWN'S MUTANT to see the difference between it and HONORABILE. From your description, they sound similar. So BROWN'S MUTANT is a grandsport of HON? I guess I'll have to get my hands on a piece of that one to complete the HON family tree in my garden.
For me BM is a more consistent performer than
KALEISOSCOPE, but by far the best grower of all the
HONORABILE variants is JOSEPH'S COAT, which even
outdoes the original.
I just added JC last summer, and I'm pleased it's blooming as a first year plant. Time will tell how it increases and performs here over a longer term. HON itself is a very strong grower and bloomer here. KALEIDOSCOPE seems about average in terms of MTB increase and performance here so far.

If there are no other BC variegata MTBs out there that this thing of mine is likely to be, do you think I'd be safe in identifying it as KALEIDOSCOPE?

Laurie

lauriefr@localnet.com
http://www.geocities.com/lfandjg
normal annual precipitation 26-27"