Re: MTB:Kaleidoscope

--- Laurie Frazer <lauriefr@localnet.com> wrote:

> I would appreciate if you, Jeff, and Anner would
> take a look at the pic of my NOT 'Pumpin' Iron'
(likely 'Kaleidoscope')that I posted to
> iris-photos this morning and tell me if you can
> confirm or deny its identity as K.

Laurie,

Your photo has the general appearance of KALEIDOSCOPE,
though as I remember my specimen (which did not bloom
this year), it also usually has yellow streaks in the
falls.

Observing Cindy Rivera's photo of BROWN'S MUTANT
reminded me that there was a discussion on this list
some time ago that the appearance or many clones of BM
had changed over time from the way it originally
looked in the Browns' garden in the '60's (haven't we
all?). Cindy's BM does not bear a close resemblance to
mine, which has a more typical plicata pattern on the
falls with the red-brown stippling concentrated more
towards the edges of the petals (though not as dense
as in a modern plicata or most diploid blue on white
plicatas, such a MADAME CHEREAU or MA MIE). Also,
there is no yellow to speak of on the falls of my BM.
Cindy's appears to be closer to the Checklist
description. Perhaps there is enough distinction to
consider that there may now be another variant in the
HONORABILE clan.

Jeff Walters
in northern Utah
(USDA Zone 4)