HYB: questions...

I realize that hybridizing is quite an extensively covered topic.
  I was wondering, besides improved bud count, branching, or basic health/survival of a plant in one's and outside one's location, what are feautures to watch out for?

  What colors are "hot topics" or things for newbies to hybridizing to consider?
  I understand that blues, purples, whites have been hybridized into oblivion and there's not much to do with them, it seems.

   I have a basic "introductory level" knowledge of genetics.
  I understand that mixing blues and blues or whites and whites, etc is the best way to obtain or attempt improvement on a single color, usually.
  My next question concerns the following.
   I am considering a quality white to hybridize with as improvement of a colored variety seedling of mine that has poor plant features.
   Am I mistakenly thinking that the results of a white crossed to a colored f1 seedling will result in a number of color f2 seedlings similar to the f1 seedling parent? Or are there too many factors, because whites come from whites, blues, and other colors that I would have to know the parents and grandparents of the particular white I consider using in my hybridizing venture to make sure no hidden surprises show up in my f2 seedling patch?
  thanks so much for the advice,

  steve m zone 4b northeastern minnesota