SPU: Portland

Hi

One thing that struck me in Portland was how late the spurias were
compared to the siberians. For us here in Australia they flower before the
siberians. Also the only place I really saw spurias flowering was at one
garden on the Sunday. There the flowering height was half to two-thirds of
what we get. This had me puzzeled for a while as many others said this was
the height their spurias flowered at. However when I spoke to John and
Joanne Jones (central CA) they said their spuria had to be waded through
as they were 5 ft tall at least.

I was wondering if the difference relates to winter temperatures. For us
the spurias start shooting in mid-late autumn and continue growing
actively all winter. This by mid November they have had 6 months of active
growth. However those people who grow spurias in areas of cold winters say
their spurias start growth in autumn but then don't grow anymore till
spring and would therefore have only 2-3 months of active growth before
blooming.
I'd appreciate any comments on this from people in warmer and colder
climates about the height and time at which their spurias flower.

Also for us siberians usually peak after the TBs have nearly finished and
once the La and Spu are well into bloom, haven't figured out why they are
so late for us. Unless they are waiting to get enough chilling before
growth.

Colleen Modra
Adelaide Hills
South Australia one8/9