Re: SPU: Portland

--- Colleen Modra wrote:

<< One thing that struck me in Portland was how late
the spurias were compared to the siberians. >>

Here in northern Utah (USDA Zone 4b = average annual
minimum temperature of -20 t0 -25F (-29 to -32C),
which happily has not been realized in recent years)
the bloom sequence is TB - Siberian - Spuria. This
year TB bloom peaked around June 1; the Sibs have
started, but only about one-third are in bloom to
date, and the Spuria stalks have not yet emerged from
the fans. Spurias seldom bloom before the second half
of June and their peak occurs around July 1, by which
time all the TB's except for the occasional straggler
are completely out of bloom.

 << the flowering height was half to two-thirds of
> what we get.  However when I spoke to John and
> Joanne Jones (central CA) they said their spuria
were 5 ft tall at least.>>

Spurias bloom here on taller stalks than the vast
majority of TB's; the average is about 42-48 inches,
and 60 inches (5 ft) would be about the upper limit. I
expect ours grow taller than in Portland because when
it heats up here, it gets and stays hotter than it
does there. Of course, we have a much shorter growing
season than California, so there is not as much time
between the start of spring growth (April) and the
bloom season.

Jeff Walters
in northern Utah
(USDA Zone 4)