Re: HYB: questions...

I knew you would ask that very question and am prepared to answer it!

I had read it in Fritz Kohlein's book Iris (page 295, 2nd printing to be exact) and believe I have read of it in the AIS Bulletin once.  Maybe others on this forum might be of assistanmce in isolating it.

Any way, visually a recessive white can be "diagnosed" as early as the bud peeking out from its bud sheath.  It will appear bluish (anthocyanin precursors and co-pigments).   The blue hue will then fade as it opens and is completely unfurled.  You may notice before it completely opens that there may be pale plicata markings at the hafts or edges as in Immortality or Laced Cotton, especially in cooler weather.

This can also be determined chemically using a weak solution of acetic acid.  Simply put petal pieces in the solution and if they turn bluish then they are recessive white.