Re: HYB: questions...

The difference is that a recessive white will produce seedlings that can still produce the co-pigments and muddy up the bright carotenoid colorsdesme.  An example is Light Beam.  It starts to open up deep golden brown and then the brown (the blue) fades almost completely to leave it a very bright golden yellow.  This can be seen in some of the lycopene pinks as well that have a blue tinge.  Although, I'm sure there are some that actually do have a very pale anthocyanin present, just to throw ya off, hehe.

It is good to know also as I found in my breeding efforts to know the difference.  There appeared in my crosses that there was "resistance" (genetic linkage) that would not allow the carotenoid dot plicata pattern to be combined with the dominant white gene(s) in my goals to eliminate the browning effect of the co-pigments.  I have seen a few newer cultivars pictured that may have broken that linkage as well a few of my own seedling that are dominant white carotenoid glaciatas (only 3 copies of the plicata gene instead of 4 that would produce a true plicata).

So, knowing the difference between the two helped me determine what I needed to cross with the have a better chance of getting what I wanted.  If I used recessive white I would have to select for seedlings that produced less co-pigments.  They may still have brown  or blue tinges to some degree and that is the best I might expect from that cross, but would hope for better.  If using a dominant white I would select for seedlings that produced brighter colors and anything with brown, so any anthocyanin, browning or bluing showing might not be selscted unless you it was exceptional and intended for using in sibling crosses.

The more knowledge that you can accumualte about a cultivar as a parent can really help in determining whether or not to use it as a parent and ultimatley save space in the already crowded (hopefully) seedling patch.

Paul Archer
Raleigh, NC  Zone 7