Re: HYB: questions...

In a message dated 6/5/2006 11:56:24 P.M. Central Standard Time,
pharcher@mindspring.com writes:

<<I knew you would ask that very question and am prepared to  answer it!>>

Paul, I assure you it was not intended as a "trick"  question!  There are a
number of people making iris crosses that are  not genetic experts.  We need
all the help we can get!  I agree  that it is a big help to have some idea of
what to expect from a given  cross.  Surprises are fun too!

For clarification . . . recessive whites carry anthocyanin which is  often
visible in the blue tinge of the bud?  Like IMMORTALITY??  But,  can be present
without being obvious?  Are you saying it is connected to  the plicata
gene/genes?  Since you gave Laced Cotton as an example?

Normally, I don't work much with whites, but I've just planted 60+  seedlings
from Lunar Whitewash x Romantic Evening.  I'm expecting various  shades of
purple considering the ancestry of LW.

Muddy purple is not my goal but is expected in first generation from this
cross.  Anything that reblooms with a red beard would be welcome here.  <vbg>
I'm not encouraged by their comparative lack of vigor.

Bridge In Time Iris Garden@website: