Re: HYB: questions...

 I beleive you might be confusing the blue tinges in the bud as athocyanin.  They are ( I believe) anthocu=yanin precursors, the chemicals that with the right genes produce the anthocyanins.
Yes, some bus start out rather blue, but the blue clor remains to some extent somewhere on the flower petals, as in Renown.

No , I am not suggesting that the recessive white gene is related or linked to the plicata gene nor has any evidence that Iknow of been presented to suggest that.  I only metioned it as an example and is an interesting flower to exhibit this characteristic as the pure white of the petal centers helps contrast the plicata dotting at the edges on first opening and watching it fade over the next day or two.  A similar thisng happens with Immortality for me but there is less white on the the flower as a whole as it opens.

Yes, there can still be some color in a recessive white flower but it is restricted to the haft area DEEP inside the flower and are usually timy lines or splashes. They maynot even be anthocyanins, but other Iris pigments. These spots may be similar to the Aril signal spots and really are anthocynins but are controlled separately.  Wouldn't that be interesting as they both occur in aprroximately the same area of the flower?!

It is also interesting that even though Laced Cotton is a recessive white that there is still significant anthocyanin in the purple leaf bases.  This just means that flower color is not linked to the PBF and we already know that as many variously colored cultivars have PBF.

Also,  I wouldn't expect your cross of Lunar Whitewash X Romantic Evening to produce "muddy" colors as this is caused by the presence of carotenoids in the parents.  Neither have carotenoids in their petals... only in the beards.  So unless one parent provides the missing gene(s) to complete the carotenoid chemical pathway from the beards into the petals you shouldn't get any with carotenoids in the petals to muddy the blues, purples and whites, whatever color beards they have.  And if you did happen to get some, I doubt it would be more than one or two and you could almost write those off as stray bee pollen grains that fertilized your pod.

I will note that Lunar Whitewash's growth has not impressed me and don't grow Romantic Evening.  LW died the first year and I immediately replaced it just to have it rot this spring and sent up some more side shoots to replace what died.  At the rate it is growing it won't bloom next year, even it survives.

Paul Archer
Raleigh, NC Zone 7