Re: HYB: Louisiana sprouts

In a message dated 6/6/2006 6:06:55 PM Eastern Standard Time,
jgcrump@cox.net writes:

<<<Any advice as to how I should treat these sprouts, which  are now growing
in a 1-gallon pot?  I have no really damp spot in the  home gardens or in my
leased plots.-
Griff, I think you will need to nurse these up by sitting their  pot in a
saucer of water pro tem, which will keep the medium moist, then,  when you have
roots visible at the bottom of the pot, pot them up again,  separating them
into clumps of three or four or so. Again, keep them  wettish and don't spare the
fertilizer. Then, when they get a bit of  size on them, later in the summer,
you will have a couple of options that  don't involve standing water and the
delights thereof.
If you don't have a soggy area under a downspout you can create a mini  damp
spot by lining a planting hole with plastic, punching it well to  provide
adequate drainage, then planting them therein. Mulch them.

I've heard different stories about how well those crazy water absorbing
crystals that turn to jelly work, but there is that, too, to  consider....
You can also encourage them to be terrestrial plants, which many LAs  will
do. This is what I would do. Wean them gradually off the water after  the second
potting, then plant them out into the garden. Mulch them  well--maybe a
gravel mulch if you have rodents-- keep them watered  and fed until they take off,
and keep them moderately moist thereafter. I'd  expect them to take hold. I
doubt  they will stay put over time,  mind you, but you can probably get
something going, if you are cunning  and patient; I did.
Anner Whitehead
Richmond VA USA Zone 7