HYB:CULT:planting (was sun, wind and increases)

In a message dated 6/6/2006 10:06:43 P.M. Central Standard Time,
flatnflashy@yahoo.com writes:

<<Hopefully that means I won't have to wait two years for my next  seedling
to bloom after this year's seedling disappointed  me.>>

Christian, It is really frustrating to not see bloom from your  seedlings.
When I moved out here I promised myself I'd get seedlings in  the ground early
enough for a good % of first year bloom.  It seems to  work.

Last year, the last bed was planted June 15, and even then I only  watered
enough to keep them from dying in that extreme heat last summer.   Three in the
last bed tried to fall bloom, and most of the seedlings in the bed  bloomed
this spring.

I've just finished the second bed for this year.  Germination was much
better than the past 2 years and I underestimated how many beds it would take to
grow them. Once again, I put smaller seedlings from several crosses back into
the pots.  However, some seedlings from all crosses are in the  ground.  If I
get the rest in the ground it will probably be too late to  see them next
spring.  And I may wait to see what I get from the first  batch.  2006 crop will
be nearly double what I had last year.

These seed were crossed in 2005 and I will see most bloom in 2007.   Shortest
possible time if you don't count the few that will bloom this  fall!!  Soaker
hoses are in place and being used!!!  BUT . . . were  not used much last year
except to settle them in the beginning.

An interesting note . . . last year I had one seedling that I knew would be
a rebloomer due to it's huge root system when I dug it from the pot.  Since  I
grow rebloomers this is not uncommon.  This year I saw many strong plants
but none with the root system I've come to expect from some potential
rebloomers.  Hope this isn't an indicator.

The key for me is to get the bed prepared the fall before.

Bridge In Time Iris Garden@website: