Re: HYB:CULT:planting (was sun, wind and increases)

Betty -- Things have conspired to make me late in planting my seedlings this year, and I have noticed the same thing that you describe. The roots are not as well developed as last year by any means. Actually, I noticed this already a few weeks ago when some seedlings pulled out as I weeded the pots. Last year, I and several other irisarians in this region all experienced poor germination, although those plants that germinated grew well with strong root systems. There just seem to be things about nature's workings that we don't yet know. -- Griff

----- Original Message ----- From: <Autmirislvr@aol.com>
To: <iris@hort.net>
Sent: Wednesday, June 07, 2006 8:39 AM
Subject: [iris] HYB:CULT:planting (was sun, wind and increases)

An interesting note . . . last year I had one seedling that I knew would be
a rebloomer due to it's huge root system when I dug it from the pot. Since I
grow rebloomers this is not uncommon. This year I saw many strong plants
but none with the root system I've come to expect from some potential
rebloomers. Hope this isn't an indicator.

If you don't cross them, you can't plant them!
Betty W. in South-central KY Zone 6 ---
Bridge In Time Iris Garden@website: