Re: Re: CULT: Louisiana sprouts

Linda -- Thanks for the encouragement. The parent of these seedlings (it was apparently selfed by bees, since there are no other Louisianas around) was planted in a corner of a plot where the water drained out in rainy weather but which dried out hard-caked as the weather warmed. It flourished even in prolonged droughts. So, I think its seedlings may be toughies, too, once they are established. If I can get them through the seedling stage . . . -- Griff

----- Original Message ----- From: "Linda Mann" <lmann@lock-net.com>
To: "iris- talk" <iris@hort.net>
Sent: Thursday, June 08, 2006 8:21 PM
Subject: [iris] Re: CULT: Louisiana sprouts

Griff, the first LA's I got were three ordered from some cut rate place
way back before I had a clue what they were or their cultural
requirements.  20 to 30 yrs ago.

I planted them the same way I planted all the TBs - dug a hole big
enough for the roots out in the gravel rows, forgot all about them.  Two
lived, and a few years later, one sent up a 4 inch bloom stalk, possible
ID = Aunt Shirley.  The little thing was screaming for recognition and
rescue!  It's a wonder they lived at all - both are now thriving in more
appropriate habitat, producing lots of bloom each year.

Would your seedlings tolerate that?  Not likely, but thought you'd be
encouraged to hear my experience.

--
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8