CULT:

Good afternoon fellow iris lovers:  Back to growing LA iris.  I grow a large
variety of LA iris and have most of them in a special bed that I can flood
occasionally.  I also have LA iris here and there all over the yard.  Once
established they can take terrific drought.  With plenty of spring rain they recover
and burst into bloom; with a dry spring they still bloom but the bloom is
about a third of the normal size.
I was startled to discover a bloomstalk in an iris bed yesterday.  This
morning a bud opened and it is a modern blue self (of course the name tag is
missing).  This is the first time in my almost 50 years of growing iris to see an
iris push up a stalk in June.
Barbara Null
Tyler, TX  zone 7b;8a