To: <iris@hort.net>
Sent: Wednesday, June 14, 2006 5:50 AM
Subject: [iris] TB: When to Divide Clumps?

I recently visited a daylily nursery, and on one of the "facts
brochures" they provided, they said that a clump of daylilies should not
be divided until it has around 20 fans. I have never seen any number
like this associated with iris clumps, but I have some second and third
year clumps which I am not sure I should keep intact or separate. They
all have nice healthy big rhizomes which have grown on all sides of the
long expired mother rhizome, so should I assume that these rhizomes will
reproduce their own fans as well? They all have room to spread out.

How big does a clump get before you decide for sure that it is time to
divide it? Any advice you can give me?

Mike, Zone 8

This message has been
scanned by F-Secure Anti-Virus for Microsoft Exchange.
For more information,
connect to http://www.f-secure.com/