CULT: Recycling garden area

I am going to hopefully finish dividing my clumps this summer, saving at least two rhizomes from each variety, but likely a few more from cultivars I would like to use as parents.  Once I have saved the rhizomes I want and made sure they have gotten off to a successful transplant, I would like to recycle that garden space back into iris beds for new varieties and seedlings, maybe next year.

I could dig out all the rhozomes from a clump and compost/give away the excess, but that sounds like a lot of unneccessary work.  Or I could Roundup the whole patch, then till, but don't want the chemical expense or the fretting about toxicity carryover in the soil.  Or I could just mow and till.  And till.  And till, in what would seem like an endless process to keep the unnamed little buggers from popping up forever.

Any been there done thats?

Thanks,
George