Re: OT: Introduction

I agree with Griff.  I've used Mushroom Compost in my own garden with  great
I have to say that I have also stepped "outside of the box" and I use a  VERY
rich compost that contains manure.  ***I say that while watching  everyone
cringe***  HOWEVER, I dig this deep into the soil so the iris have  to send
roots down far enough to reach the richness.
I personally have never had any rot problems associated with using  this.  I
never place it in direct contact with the iris and I also add  other "goodies"
to my beds such as Alfalfa pellets, Chicken Manure, and  10-10-10.  Again, I
must stress, I dig ALL of this into my bed  deeply.
I am rewarded with very healthy plants that always bloom nicely.  I've  never
had issues with iris having too much lush growth and no bloom  stalks.
To protect the innocent, I have a friend that once used treated sewage that
was double dug down into his beds.  He had the MOST BEAUTIFUL iris I had  ever
laid my eyes on.  Unfortunately, that product is no longer  available.  We
have since then found a resource for fresh horse  manure.  The caution of using
this is that it really needs to age a year  before use because it is so very
"hot."  Therefore, once again, if we need  to use it quickly because bed
preparation is underway, then it is always dug  VERY DEEPLY under the bed.  (double
I don't know if "double dug" is a correct term, but it refers to tilling  the
soil as deep as the tiller will take you, then pull that dirt out and then
put your tiller back into the bed and dig again.  This is the area in which  we
place the plant's yummylicious diet.
Many folks talk about using little nitrogen.  I agree to an extent  that high
levels of nitrogen can be very detrimental to bearded iris in  general.
However, from growing up on a farm and raising all sorts of  different things, I
feel that all plants need good nutrition to produce to their  fullest
potential.  The drawback with lots of nitrogen is that you get the  fast and soft
growth and little bloom in return.  However, when it's dug  deep, then it's not
like throwing it right on top of them or barely scratching  it in.  I let the
iris "search" for it which seems to be my magic secret  that people want to know
because my plants are always so very healthy and my  bloom seasons are always
one large bouquet.  I have also found that  different cultivars will respond
differently.  Some will grow to their full  potential with beautiful branching
and good bud count while others will  "over-grow" producing stalks that are
WAY outside the norm for the  cultivar.  I saw a stalk at our local show this
year that was at least 4 ft  tall and more branches than any tree out in the
woods!  It was amazing, but  really overgrown.
As for my suggestion to you....experiment.  Since this is new to you,  I
wouldn't suggest using my method over your entire garden.  Experiment a  little to
see what works best in your area.  I'm sure I'd have more rot  issues if I
were in an area that was inundated with lots of rain and an over  abundance of
moisture.  I have never implemented a new idea on an entire  garden at one
time.  For a couple of reasons.  First, I don't want to  jeopardize my entire
garden due to bad judgement.  Also, without a  "control" group, I can't tell what
results I get from anything new.
You will find through trial and error that iris are pretty tough creatures
for the most part.  Of course, there are some that are much more "tender"  than
others.  However, they provide lots of enjoyment for you and those who
Enjoy and Best of Luck - Keep us posted on your results!   I  always tell
folks, don't try to make all mistakes by yourself, because life is  too short.
Learn from others, take what you like, and nix those things you  don't like.
Through careful planning and perseverance, you will find the  formula that
works best for you!
-Evan Underwood
Southern Middle Tennessee