From: owner-iris@hort.net [mailto:owner-iris@hort.net] On Behalf Of Linda
Mann
Sent: Thursday, June 15, 2006 3:15 AM
To: iris- talk
Subject: [iris] Re: TB: When to Divide Clumps?

A few things to keep in mind about when to divide:

Some (most?) cultivars will produce fewer and fewer bloomstalks as the
clump gets crowded and really won't bloom well unless reset
periodically.  There are some exceptions (the ones I love) that just
keep making a bigger and bigger, heavily blooming clump, year after
year.  I. pallida is like that.

Some cultivars will spread out a lot pretty fast and if they are planted
near each other, can make keeping track of which rhizome belongs to
which clump a challenge.

In some climates/soils, some cultivars take a while to settle in once
they are dug and re-set, and may not bloom the following year.

Some folks keep clumps blooming by digging out some of the rhizomes in
the middle of the clump or around the edges or both, making more room
for those that are left in place.
--
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8