Re: HYB: pollination

I have a theory about some of these types of pods, at least those with
seeds.

I see filled pods form on a bloom <not> pollinated by me, <after> I've
attempted to set pods on a different bloom, or maybe a slightly earlier
(more fully open) bloom on the same stalk.  I think the tiny non-flying
or weak flying pollen eating insects (which are abundant here most years
- I never use insecticides) are traveling around the plant gathering all
the edible pollen they can find and sometimes spread pollen on stigmas
better than I do.  Plus they can wiggle into blooms that aren't open, so
pollen may be there, ready to go when conditions are perfect.

There is also the reported effect of stimulating better pollination by
using mixed pollen to 'prime' fertilization.  So adding a <lot> of
pollen to the food trough of these little pollinators may result in a
pod when mixed with pod parent pollen??? Or not <g>

Example - attempts to set pods on a few open blooms on HELEN COLLINGWOOD
with ROMANTIC EVENING pollen were unsucessful - <but> a bee pod formed
on an unpollinated (by me) bloom that produced seedlings that look
<very> much like the pollen parent was ROMANTIC EVENING.

I only see these types of pods form on plants where I don't put pollen
on every possible flower.  It has happened often enough that I keep
wondering if I've labeled the right bloom!

This year, I have some seedlings up from DUSKY CHALLENGER X RINGO.
Another pod formed on the same DC plant (same stalk for that matter).
It should be obvious if these seedlings come from the same cross.

Also have some HELEN COLLINGWOOD X ROM EVE seedlings coming along to
compare with the HC bee babies.

I'll have to check my records to see if any of the other types of these
pods have bloomed seedlings yet.  I always mark them as 'bee' pods, but
after seeing those HC seedlings bloom, having been making a note of what
pollen I attempted to use in making crosses.

As for air pods being easier to set than real pods - I've read that the
pollen can stimulate pod formation but not manage to make seeds.  Seems
like we've had some discussion about that here before - maybe some of
Neil's interesting spelling of pollination - <pollenization>.

<Found something interesting yesterday.  A pod (bee or air) on SUMMER
                        RADIANCE.  I introduced this iris is 1996 and
have used it in many  crosses.  It has
                        never set a pod for me!

                        I tried another cross on it this spring . . .
just in case.  It didn't  take.
                         Now I find this pod.  What does it mean?

                        Can a bloom set an AIR pod and not be able to
set a real pod?  Or does  it
                        just mean I've not tried hard enough?  Betty>

--
Linda Mann east Tennessee USA zone 7/8