Re: Re: HYB: pollination

In a message dated 6/19/2006 8:15:20 P.M. Central Standard Time,
ChatOWhitehall@aol.com writes:

<<As for  air pods being easier to set than real pods - I've  read that the
pollen can  stimulate pod formation but not manage to  make seeds>>
From my perspective (non-expert) I'd say that the development of the pod
itself and the development of the embryo/embryos are two different but  related
functions.  Thus the occasional existence of the pods without the  seed.

<<Does every variety which is known to make balloon pods  *always*  make
pods, or are some of these also known to set  bee pods with seeds,  or set
seeds by manual  fertilization?>>
I've not kept records on the air/balloon pods, but you raise a very
interesting question.
<<In other words, is a tendency to set balloon pods prima facie  evidence of
Since air/balloon pods don't contribute to the advancement of irises, it  is
doubtful anyone has kept the records or conducted the scientific  processes.
I'm just looking for collective memory!  Or  speculation!
Summer Radiance has refused to set pods, but produces viable pollen  most
years.  I was extremely surprised to find the pod.

Bridge In Time Iris Garden@website: