Re: OT: Introduction

Thanks Kent! That makes my shopping much easier. I had found a club some 65 miles from me but because of the distance (which seems even further in winter!) and current gas prices I wasn't inclined to join.

Nice to know I have options.

I was asked before about what type of soil I had to work with. It's a rich clay loam. This was a farm as recently as 30 years ago when the farmer died and his widow began selling off the land. It's wonderful stuff to grow plants in. Normally pest are at a minimum but this year we've had an infestation of tent caterpillars which we've used Sevin to contain.

I was also asked what kind of Iris I was interested in and I'm afraid the answer to that is ALL of them <G>. I have some bearded Iris as well as two kinds of Siberian Iris (no names).

I've noticed different classifications when I was shopping and wondered if there was a page which describes what these different labels mean. Tall and short are obvious but there were some I just didn't understand.

Cheers!

Molly D
in Canandaigua, NY

Hi Molly. I've heard the same thing about some kinds of plants, that it helps
to get them from a zone as cold as yours. It doesn't seem to apply to bearded
irises, though. People in cold zones generally order from warmer zones just
because that's were most of the irises are. About half of mine have come
from places a few zones warmer than here, and they've done at least as well as
the ones I've gotten from Utah.

You might want to find out if your local iris club, if there is one, has an
iris sale. Good place to meet other irisarians and get advice about what does
well in your area. Prices are usually on the low side. The closest club to
me is 100 miles away, but I think it's worth the trip.

Have fun!

Kent
Sanpete County, Utah, zone4/5, about 6,000 feet
Still a few bearded iris blooming, including Navajo Jewel, Juris Prudence,
Frills and Flounces, Prize Drawing and Brown Lasso, and in part shade: Mary D
and Colette Thurillet