Re: CULT:My iris changed color!!!

In a message dated 6/28/2006 8:41:13 AM Eastern Standard Time,
Autmirislvr@aol.com writes:

Hope  that clears the issue a bit.

Thanks.

I'm aware of those theories, of course, since, as you say, we have  discussed
them before, but I don't find any of them adequate to explain the  phenomenon
of someone reporting a comprehensive color change in a bed of irises.  The
first instance of this story that I recall encountering dated to before  the
second World War.

For me, the issue is this:

If we posit that it is impossible for an entire bed of bearded  irises to
suddenly change color to white--or yellow, or purple-- and we  also agree that
none of the explanations in general circulation-- whether  considered singly or
in combination--- account convincingly and  comprehensively for any such
transformations as they have reached our  ears--- which I would suggest is clearly
the case--- and we also note that  such transformations do not ever appear to
happen in the beds of those who know  irises best, or grow them in large
commercial quantities, then why is  it that so many people have, over the years,
apparently felt some need to  report an event that simply could not be
happening?

I'm not suggesting something is happening, you  understand, but I do think it
would be well to examine the phenomenon from  all sides, including that of
the reportage.

Cordially,

Anner Whitehead
Richmond VA USA